Dec. 5 2017
Hi all- Molly again. I decided to write this because I’m not sure if it’s just me, but I get unusually excited to go get groceries at Trader Joe’s, and I’ve kind of become a pro at picking out the best items on the shelves. Being 22 in New York is what I like to call, “ballin’ on a budget,” making Trader Joe’s the perfect place to pick up my groceries since I am terrible at cooking and they have plenty of easy things to whip up at super reasonable prices. Here are my go-to items if you’re looking to stay healthy (sans breaking the bank), without having to do any serious cooking after a long day.
- Trader Joe’s creamy salted almond butter- This one is self-explanatory. I put almond butter on anything and everything for a snack- rice cakes, apples, bananas, waffles, english muffins, (you get the point).
- Trader Joe’s chili lime frozen chicken burgers and frozen turkey burgers- Me and my roomies swear by these. I mean we literally make them every night. Cook one on a pan and throw a little cholula on it and you’re in business.
- Broccoli and cauliflower- If you’re like me, then you have to buy a lot of veggies frozen because any other option goes bad before I get the chance to finish it. Not ideal, but super easy to prepare and still tastes yummy!
- Cauliflower rice- I just hopped on this cauliflower rice train. I make a little bowl with the cauliflower rice, my turkey burger, and some avocado and that pretty much sums up my dinner 4 nights a week.
- Frozen packs of TJ’s brown rice- On the flip side, if you want a grain go for the frozen brown rice. It comes in individual portions and I make half for dinner and bring the other half to work for lunch the next day. You can pretty much eat this rice with anything and it’s filling and delicious.
- Dark chocolate caramels- Honestly, I want to say for you to not even tempt yourself and buy these. They are SO good. I tried them years ago and now there’s no turning back. They’re in a square plastic container in the racks above the frozen food sections. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
- Peanut butter filled pretzels- Nom nom nom. These are hard to put down and dangerously addicting.
- TJ’s greek yogurt- My top flavors include vanilla, raspberry and pomegranate.
- Trader Joe’s granola with flax and chia seeds- This comes in a big bag for about $3 I think. I put it in my oatmeal, yogurt and overnight oats, etc.
- Cinnamon and spice oatmeal- This stuff is amazing. Oatmeal is always my go-to for breakfast and honestly lunch too when I’m in a hurry. I either make this stuff hot with some granola and fresh berries or I put it in a mason jar with some almond milk to have overnight oats in the morning. I highly recommend this for all occasions.