Oct. 30 2018
Kerry Benjamin is the esthetician and founder behind the Santa Monica-based line StackedSkincare, which prides itself in making potent serums, effective (yet gentle) peels, and glow-getting results. Below, this skincare expert tells us all about the 5 ingredients your skin needs during this chilly season.
Kerry says…Fall is a great time of year to start transitioning your skincare habits and products to prepare skin for the colder, drier months ahead. There’s less humidity in the air and you’re likely spending a little more time indoors; perhaps you’re also exposing skin to artificially heated air, which can further dehydrate already parched skin. With a few small tweaks to your skincare routine and some product swaps, you can make sure your skin remains healthy and maintained. Below, you’ll find my recommendations for the five best ingredients you can use this fall.
- Hyaluronic Acid. You’ll hear a lot of pros wax poetic about the benefits of this acid, which is capable of holding nearly 1,000x its weight in water, meaning that topical application will elevate your skin’s ability to stay hydrated. It draws moisture within and helps skin hold onto it, so find yourself a lightweight serum to use after cleansing and before you apply any other products.
- Lactic Acid. It’s vital for your skin health to exfoliate regularly, even during colder fall and winter months. I love lactic acid because it’s so gentle but also incredibly hydrating as well as effective in brightening and exfoliating, especially for those with particularly sensitive skin types. You can find lactic acid in StackedSkincare’s TCA Multi-Acid Body Peel and TCA Multi-Acid Face Peel–these peels are my go-tos year-round to help exfoliate, hydrate and recover from any sun damage accrued from too much time outdoors!
- Vitamin A. There’s not a lot to dislike about Vitamin A in skincare. It’s one of those powerhouse ingredients that dermatologists, estheticians, and other skincare professionals trust. Retinols and Retinoids are both derived from Vitamin A and will defend skin from free radical damage while also repairing existing damage. When applied topically, Vitamin A regenerates skin cell growth, promotes collagen production, and evens skin tone and texture. You can see now why I love incorporating this ingredient into a skincare routine at any time of year, but particularly in the fall when it’s all about damage control!
- CBD. There’s so much talk about the benefits of Cannabidiol (CBD for short), and for good reason. It’s a leading antioxidant for skin that also has tremendous anti-inflammatory benefits and is beneficial in hydrating skin too. I recommend it for all skin types, but encourage people to look for products with 99%+ purity, to ensure the quality of the ingredient is the very best.
- Rosehip Oil. This oil, which comes from the seeds and fruit of the rose plant, is one of my favorites to formulate with. It’s chock-full of nourishing vitamins and essential fatty acids that our skin loves, and beautifully hydrates/brightens skin. It also contains a high amount of naturally occurring tretinoin, which restores scar tissue and speeds up cell turnover to help with clarity and tone. I’ve long loved this oil.