Jun. 5 2019
You may know Liz Moody from her time as the food director of wellness website mindbodygreen, on Instagram where she shares delicious favorites like healthy Salted Cookie Dough Banana bread, or maybe you’ve caught an episode of her podcast, Healthier Together, where she interviews extraordinary people about the secrets to their amazing lives. Most recently, the writer and healthy food chef released her newest cookbook, also called Healthier Together, which is already a best-seller. The book features gut-healing, inflammation-fighting, hormone-balancing recipes for two, to nourish relationships—whether it’s between friends, romantic partners, or family members—and bodies at the same time.
In this exclusive feature, we’ll be sharing four recipes from the book, all of which can be made in 15 minutes or less. According to Liz, this is key to her philosophy: “I want anyone, no matter where they live, how busy they are, or what ingredients they have access to, to be able to make healthy, crave-worthy recipes!”
We already shared Liz’s Persian Spiced Herb and Walnut Omelette, and her totally cheese-less Cheesy Rosemary Popcorn. Today, she’s sharing a genius technique for making pizza using a cast iron pan and tortillas (Liz recommends the Siete brand’s grain-free ones). It takes seconds to make, is super easy, and, best of all, you can customize it with your favorite toppings. Liz shares the recipe and a few of her favorite topping options below.
Super-Quick Cast-Iron Pizza
- Avocado oil, for greasing the pan
- 2 flour-type tortillas (Liz recommends Siete or La Tortilla Factory’s gluten-free variety)
- 4 tablespoons tomato sauce
- Toppings of choice (cheese from the milk of grass-fed cows, thinly sliced vegetables, dried or fresh herbs)
CLASSIC NEW YORK
Mozzarella cheese from the milk of grass-fed cows + dried oregano, dried basil + garlic powder + salt
BETTER THAN MARGHERITA
Chunks of mozzarella from the milk of grass-fed cows + fresh basil (add after cooking) + drizzle of hot honey
BRUSSELS SPROUTS & BACON-ISH
Shredded Brussels sprouts + pan-fried in avocado oil with a sprinkle of salt until just brown + cooked pasture-raised bacon or coconut bacon
BBQ CHICKEN PARTY
Cheddar cheese from the milk of grass-fed cows + shredded pasture-raised rotisserie chicken + tossed in BBQ sauce + thin-sliced red onions
THE SALAD PIZZA
Thinly sliced apple, toasted, chopped walnuts, fresh arugula (add after cooking) + a drizzle of olive oil (add after cooking) + a drizzle of balsamic vinegar (add after cooking)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Drizzle a bit of avocado oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet and warm over medium-high heat, turning the pan to coat it evenly. When the oil shimmers, wipe out the excess oil and place one tortilla in the pan. Reduce heat to medium and let cook for one minute. Flip the tortilla and cook for an additional minute while you add 2 tablespoons of sauce, spreading it all the way to the tortilla’s edge.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the toppings of your choice, reserving fresh herbs to finish. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 2 to 4 minutes, or until the edges of the tortilla are golden brown but not burned (if you’re not using cheese, check on the early side). Transfer the pan back to the stove and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes over medium heat, until the bottom is browned, but not burned. Transfer the pizza to a plate and let it cool slightly. Top with fresh herbs, if using.
- Repeat with second pizza and serve.