Jul. 10 2019
Hannah Skvarla co-founded The Little Market, a nonprofit store that creates market access for artisans in more than 25 countries, with Lauren Conrad in 2013. The two friends started their company as a way to include more women from around the world in the global economy. Now, their successful platform allows thousands in marginalized communities to sell their products. We asked this founder to tell us about the routines she practices to keep herself feeling whole. Find her best self-care habits below.
Bad habits you’ve cut from your routine?
- Eating sugar. I have a huge sweet tooth and was eating sugar a few times a day. I’ve tried my best to limit it to special occasions.
- Overcommitting my time – I used to say yes to every opportunity, but that’s just not a sustainable way to live. I have gotten a lot more comfortable saying no and not taking on too many commitments.
Good habits you’ve added?
- Working out! When you get busy it can be hard to carve out time for yourself. I do my best to do some type of workout every morning, even if it’s a short walk.
- Less time scrolling on Instagram. It’s so easy to spend a crazy amount of time on Instagram. I am making a conscious effort to unplug and be present.
- Reading! I have been trying to replace screen time on nights and weekends with reading and it has been wonderful.
How do you take care of yourself throughout the day?
I do my best to limit my meetings to between 10am and 3pm. When I do this I am able to drop off and pick up my daughter from school, which is really important to me. It also allows me to have time to myself to get through my work without interruptions.
Are there any activities you do to de-stress?
Our family loves surfing, so we try to get to the ocean whenever we can. Thankfully, we live near the beach, so that’s not too hard. My daughter just recently took her first solo wave, which was very exciting!
How many hours of sleep do you get a night?
It really depends on the day and if my kids are sleeping through or not! I need a lot of sleep – I function best when I get 9 hours, so I try to fall asleep around 9pm because my kids wake me up at 6am. It can be hard to unwind and fall asleep that early, so sometimes I take melatonin.
Do you have a favorite wellness trend?
Stretching! It’s a nice way to set time aside just for you and it does wonders for your body and mind.
What is your favorite healthy food?
Matcha! I have been trying to replace my coffee habit with it.