Aug. 21 2018
We’ve all heard our dermatologists say that what we put into our bodies is subsequently reflected on our largest organ–our skin. So french fries and french toast might not be the best dishes for our complexion…but what should we be eating to promote a radiant glow? We turned to Athena Ellen, a San Francisco-based esthetician with over 14 years of experience and founder of luxe botanical line Monastery, for advice. Below, the celebrated skincare expert shares the five foods we should be eating for clearer skin.
- Guavas. It turns out that guavas contain more vitamin C than any other fruit. Vitamin C fights free radicals. Free radicals break down skin cells, which leads to sagging skin and fine lines, so it’s important to minimize them.
- Chili Peppers. Also very high in Vitamin C, helping to fight free radicals. Although you can’t eat a lot of them, it helps to add them to your food!
- Kale. Kale is extremely high in iron. Iron is extremely important for skin health and beauty because it carries oxygen through the blood cells. Keeping your skin cells oxygenated makes your complexion look and feel bouncy.
- Fatty Fish like salmon or mackerel. These fish are extremely high in omega fatty acids. Omega fatty acids reduce inflammation and smooth the skin. This will help keep you clear of stubborn pimples and thin skin.
- Pumpkin. Pumpkins are very high in beta-carotene. Beta-carotene (vitamin A) fights unwanted bacteria, which makes it another superfood for fighting stubborn acne.