May. 11 2018
If there is one thing everyone at Newsette HQ has in common, it is that we’re constantly reading. Everyone on the team has different picks when it comes to books from mystery to fantasy to romance, so we thought it’d be fun to show you what everyone our team is currently reading, getting ready to read, and a favorite we can always count on in our new “HQ Hearts” segment. Read below to check out which books you may want to add to your summer reading list.
- Currently Reading: The Vanity Fair Diaries by Tina Brown. It’s the both magical and refreshingly real diary of Tina Brown, the former Vanity Fair editor-in-chief. Inside, you’ll get an inside look at the competitive and male-dominated ’80s in the magazine world. I’ve always been incredibly intrigued by the publication world–which is why I started The Newsette–and these intimate chronicles of Tina’s life give just the right dose of insight and fascination.
- Up next: I would love to find time to read Sweetbitter, because it has recently become a TV show on Starz, and I love when I can visually see a novel brought to life on the big or small screen.
- Favorite: My absolute favorite book is my twin sister’s Lightlark. We published a preview of it a few months ago (and the comments section went nuts for it!), but it’s not out to the public yet (she and her agent are still putting the finishing touches on it before pitching to publishers). This Wonder Woman-esque read is both exhilarating and captivating, combining celestial powers with an intoxicating mystery.
- Currently Reading: The Lying Game by Ruth Ware. I loved the psychological thriller The Girl in Cabin 10, such a great commute read, and picked up another Ruth Ware, The Lying Game, last week at Grand Central. Loving this one already as she tells the story of four friends by jumping between present day and their boarding school days, alluding to some dark lies unearthed from the past…
Up next: Marriage Vacation by Pauline Brooks. I’ve always been interested in the publishing industry, so I obviously fell in love with Darren Star’s show Younger. And when I found out the novel ‘Marriage Vacation’ from Season 4 was being published, this book immediately jumped to the top of my list. Can’t wait to see what the hype on ‘page 58’ is really all about… (Available for pre-order now, available for purchase June 5th)
- Favorite: A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. Clearly, my taste in books runs the gamut, but since high school, this has been my favorite book, so much so that my mom even bought me a purse clutch version. Charles Dickens created the OG love triangle with Lucie, Sydney and Charles, and I don’t want to spoil the ending for any of you, but the selfless, heroic act at the end of the novel leaves me in tears every time… “It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to than I have ever known.”
- Currently Reading: The Hazel Wood by Melissa Albert. It’s a super well-written young adult book that’s equal parts creepy and captivating.
- Up next: The Lying Game by Ruth Ware. I’ve read her other books, and am excited to dive into this one. Her other works are the types of books you need to dedicate half a day to because you won’t be able to stop reading. They’re guilty pleasures. I’m just waiting for the right afternoon.
- Favorite: Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. In my opinion, it’s a perfect thriller. Beautiful writing, spot-on characterization, and impeccable plot. I read pieces of it over and over again for inspiration.
- Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. This novel is a beautifully written work about a young blind French girl and a German boy and their lives during World War II. It is intriguing and mesmerizing, transporting you to a completely different time.
- Up next: Crazy Rich Asians by Kevin Kwan. Now that the trailer has been released, I have to read the book before the movie is out. The drama, ridiculous amounts of money (and the problems it causes), and the beautiful people make it the perfect summer book that I’m dying to start. Not to mention the movie looks amazing!
- Favorite: Love Does by Bob Goff. I always always always read this book when I’m reflecting on something or sitting in bed. It is the perfect feel-good book to remind you how to appreciate the little things, enjoy your life, and to remember to love. The main lesson of the book being: love does.
- Currently Reading: Into The Water by Paula Hawkins and How To Get Sh*t Done by Erin Falconer. I’m a huge fan of thrillers and Into The Water definitely keeps me awake during my commute, even after the busiest of days. Erin Falconer’s self-improvement book is very interesting as well and delves into combining productivity with passion while also talking about the women’s workforce and the barriers (as well as opportunities) that come from it.
- Up next: Rules of Magic by Alice Hoffman. I’m obsessed with Practical Magic so the newest prequel is obviously at the top of my reading list this summer. For those who haven’t read (or seen the movie), both Practical Magic and Rules of Magic follow a family of witches who have been cursed by their ancestor and, as a result, are never allowed to fall in love.
- Favorite: Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling. As in the entire series… I always manage to reread the books every year. Guess I have a thing for witches.