Feb. 13 2019
Self-care started off as a trendy term–now, it’s a lady boss’ best friend. Taking care of ourselves both physically and mentally is how we’re able to take on our busy days, follow our dreams, and conquer our mile-long to-do lists. To inspire you to recharge daily, we’re launching a new segment, focused on all things self-care. You’ll hear how successful women refuel, from their best habits to biggest indulgences. Today, Anushka Salinas, Chief Revenue Officer at Rent the Runway–your closet in the cloud–shares the healthy routines that keep her feeling whole. If you’ve ever wondered what an executive at a top-tier tech company does to de-stress, or how many hours of sleep she gets, keep scrolling to find out.
What are some bad habits you’ve cut from your daily routine?
- Reducing my caffeine intake! I can’t skip my morning coffee because it’s such a part of my morning routine, so I’ve started doing a half-caf. I still get the ritual of coffee but with less of the harmful effects of caffeine.
- Skipping the sugar craving. I almost always crave something sweet during the afternoon lull. I’ve found that when I don’t cave, I feel so much better. I usually substitute it with sugar-free fruit gum.
Good daily habits you’ve added?
- Drinking more water. Everyone always says this but it’s hard to do. I find that having a really big bottle and making sure you finish at least one during the workday helps a lot.
- Walking every day! No matter how busy I am or the weather, I walk to and from work. It’s 30 incredible minutes each way, and allows me to prepare for the day mentally on my way in, and decompress on my way home.
- Eating fish at least twice a week. I make a point to make Sunday dinner a fish night!
Are there any activities or hobbies you do to help you de-stress and relax?
Reading actual books (not digital ones). I find that reading even for 10 minutes before bed helps calm you down and improves sleep.
How many hours of sleep do you get a night? Is there anything you’d improve about your sleep schedule?
I’m one of those people that needs 7-8 hours of sleep. I admire those that can be productive and energetic with less! If I can get into bed by 11 P.M. I find that I feel well rested and ready for the day.
Do you have a favorite wellness trend?
The trend toward natural skincare products is something I have bought into big time. When I got pregnant, I became aware of everything I was putting into and onto my body. It made me switch a lot of products. I found that bar soap is actually great! I get mine at Whole Foods–you just pluck it right off the shelf without packaging. I also love body oils–I’m currently obsessed with the Herbivore Jasmine Body Oil.
What is your favorite healthy food? How do you incorporate it into your diet?
I’m a big believer in dairy even though I know it’s controversial. I eat fat-free Greek yogurt every day–it’s packed with protein and low in calories. My snack hack is adding PB2 (powdered peanut butter) and cinnamon to it. It tastes almost like peanut butter frozen yogurt!