Oct. 23 2019
Rachel Roff is the CEO and Founder of Urban Skin Rx, a company that makes skincare solutions for all skin tones. With fans like Ayesha Curry, and Forbes listing her as one of the “Latest Innovators in the Beauty Industry,” Rachel has built an extremely successful company in her mission to provide more inclusive offerings in the skincare sector. Her diverse range of products can be found in top retailers, such as Target, CVS, and Ulta. Besides being a CEO, Rachel is also mother to her seven-year-old, Rosie, and enjoys hiking in her free time. How does she stay present, when the temptation to work after-hours is sitting in her pocket, constantly beeping away? We asked this entrepreneur to tell us the steps she’s taken to inject self-care into her day-to-day routine.
What are some bad habits you’ve cut from your daily routine?
- Drinking sodas – even diet sodas! They are all so bad for you and can contribute to weight gain.
- Late-night snacking. I used to snack so much at night. Stopping that has really helped me mentally.
Good habits you’ve added?
- Being the owner of my own company, I feel like I am constantly working on my phone. I have tried to be intentional about putting my phone down and being present with my daughter every day.
- I just bought a Peloton bike and I love having it in my home! Exercising daily is key to reducing my stress.
- Some people may not view this as a good habit, but I have found that after I put my daughter to bed I try to zone out and watch one show on Netflix. My brain is constantly going, so I find, that for me, watching a show can be therapeutic.
How do you take care of yourself throughout the day?
Surrounding myself by people I trust and that I know care about me is crucial. Owning businesses can be extremely stressful and sometimes things can seem like too much on my shoulders. My friends and family talk me off those mental ledges and remind me of what is truly important.
Are there any activities or hobbies you do to de-stress?
My favorite spin class at the Dowd YMCA in Charlotte is my favorite way to de-stress. The instructor is incredible and I love a physical challenge.
How many hours of sleep do you get a night?
Being a mom, an entrepreneur and business owner, I don’t get nearly enough sleep. I should probably put down my phone when I’m in bed and actually go to bed.
Do you have a favorite wellness trend?
I’m a big fan of supplements. Most of us don’t get the nutrition that we need to be at our best. I’ve found when I consistently take quality supplements I feel ten times better.
What is your favorite healthy food?
Are jalapeños healthy? Because I would eat those at every meal if I could!