Neha Gandhi is the editor-in-chief and chief operating officer at Girlboss, the company that’s all about helping women define success on their own terms. From a podcast network, to website, to conferences, Girlboss works in several different media mediums, and Neha has a hand in all of them. Before becoming EIC and COO at Girlboss, Neha held several impressive roles at prestigious companies such as Refinery29, Harper’s Bazaar, and Seventeen Magazine. And when this media boss isn’t overseeing a major platform, she enjoys walking in whichever city she’s in, which is mostly L.A., where she now resides after being a longtime New Yorker. Wondering what this girl boss does to wind down after a long day? Find out below.

6:30 P.M. I’m usually at my desk, complaining that I’m starving, right around this time. It’s that magical hour when I want a snack but also don’t want to spoil my dinner. So, I usually have some fruit—or cheddar bunnies—and do another 30-45 minutes of work, wrapping up whatever my last project of the day is.

7 P.M. I like to start the 7 o’clock hour looking at my priorities for the next day, writing the three things I want to focus on the next day on a Post-It that will await me at my desk the next morning. That way, in the morning, when my mind is sharpest, I can dive into the hardest thing I will have to do the next day (and not waste time organizing in the morning).

And then, I call an Uber or Lyft and make my way home. Like I said, I’ve been in LA for a year now, but I haven’t gotten my driver’s license quite yet (the logistics of DMV visits have been a pretty strong deterrent here, but I really do need to get over that), so I ride-share everywhere. On the bright side, that means I get to sit in the backseat of someone else’s car for about 20 minutes at the end of the day, either responding to emails I didn’t get to at the office, or just decompressing, listening to The Daily or something else relatively short and tuning out the rest of the world.

8 P.M. I prefer setting up breakfasts, coffees, and lunches for work and networking things, rather than doing post-work drinks, which means I’m usually home by 8:00pm, which is amazing. And then, my husband and I usually eat dinner together. Lately, we’ve both been a little underwater at work, so we’ve been ordering in more than we would like, but such is life. When we order in, we usually wind up eating in the living room, with Netflix on on a laptop in the background. When we’re on a better schedule, we’ll cook together (I’m a big fan of anything in the Ottolenghi cookbooks, although those recipes are more labor intensive than I would like) and then sit down to eat at the dining table, with no laptop in sight. The latter is obviously preferable, but we’re working on it.    

8:30 P.M. After dinner, I’m usually itching to clean up immediately. Once that’s done, I feel like the world is my oyster and I could do literally anything with the rest of the evening, and that’s completely liberating.

Of course, what I really do with that time is put on my pajamas, wash my face, apply my nighttime skincare (this usually entails Sunday Riley’s Luna oil, Dr. Perricone brightening serum, an occasional once-over with a jade roller—I’m not convinced this changes my skin, but it’s fun, and I like the way the cool stone feels on my face, so why not?—and then a heavier cream like the Rodial rose gold moisturizer), and then waste the next 15 or 20 minutes on my phone, falling into a black hole of reading the news, rage blackout-ing on Twitter, or aimlessly scrolling through Instagram.

9 P.M. I usually check back in on work around this time. But unless I’m under the gun on a deadline or just drowning, I try not to do too much work in the evening at home, just to create some mental space between work and home. I usually foam roll a little bit, because sitting at a desk all day is wreaking havoc on my hip flexors and my upper back.  

And I watch something on Netflix or Hulu that my husband and I can both agree on if we are both home (last night, that was the Murphy Brown reboot). Or, we just sit and chat, or we read. This is really the most precious part of the day though—the time that we have just for ourselves, and I’m trying to be mindful of not frittering it away. It’s a work in progress.

10:30 P.M. I usually read in bed (currently in the midst of Sally Field’s In Pieces, which is proving to be both engrossing and beautifully written) for about 30 minutes before I’m out. This is a new development since I moved to LA though. When I lived in NYC, I worked later, had something (usually a few somethings) planned almost every evening after work, and was never in bed before midnight—and even then, had a hard time falling asleep. I do think one of the most amazing things about this move has been that I’ve changed everything about my sleep patterns for the better.  

Load (0) Comments