May. 2 2019
Blythe Harris is the Chief Creative Officer and co-founder of Stella & Dot, a jewelry company famous for its customizable charm necklaces and cuff bracelets, that has paid out over $500mm in commissions to women to date. Along with running a massive accessories and clothing company, Blythe is also passionate about her recent partnership with Dress for Success. For every woman who joins Stella & Dot, the company is donating $50 in product to the organization. We caught up with this busy entrepreneur, and asked her to tell us her must-haves when flying. She lists them all below.
How often do you travel?
I love the Diana Vreeland quote, “the eye has to travel” and I take that quite seriously. Travel is an integral part of my inspiration process and I love going to new places and immersing myself in the culture. This spring, I traveled to Oaxaca and Mexico City, which blew me away, and will definitely influence our 2020 collection. I also travel to New York about once a quarter, and I go to Europe twice a year.
What bag do you use as your carry-on?
I use our Camo DayTripper bag as a carry-on—I love it because it has a lot of internal functionality: pockets for passport, boarding pass and phone and a zip pocket for my wallet. For longer trips, I love my Away roller-board.
What goes in it:
- EVER Beauty Balm. I am obsessive about keeping my skin hydrated on flights! I use this on my lips as well as cuticles, and also EVER Daylight Tinted Moisturizer.
- A White and Warren cashmere scarf. This keeps me warm and also germ-free–I wrap it around my head and mouth in case my seat-mate is sneezing!
- iPad. I bring my giant iPad with a keyboard for creating presentations and a stylus for drawing and designing on-the-go. Before traveling, I download movies and shows, including the Abstract series on Netflix and Queer Eye. I also download magazines to read–The Week, Vogue, and Vanity Fair are favorites. I try not to forget my Beats Solo Rose Gold Headphones–rose gold is my favorite metal type!
- Accessories. I always bring outfit-transforming accessories in my carry-on, in case my checked luggage gets lost: Color Pop Botanical Earrings, Pegasus Earrings, and a pair of Loeffler Randall kitten heels, which are really lightweight–I have them in black and white gingham and they go with everything.
- Snacks! Think Thin Peanut Butter Bar–low in sugar, delicious, portable and a great snack. I also like Iota flavored sunflower seeds. They have a resealable package that makes it very portable and not messy, which is also great when I am traveling with the kids.
- CleanWell Botanical hand wipes. I am a bit obsessive about germs when I travel because I used to get sick after every long plane ride! I wipe down my seatbelt buckle, the touchscreen, the arms of my seat. I can’t help myself!
- A S’well water bottle. My New Year’s resolution is not to use plastic water bottles…I am good about 90% of the time, trying to make it 100%!
- A sketchpad. You never know when inspiration will strike, especially while traveling. Getting out of your everyday is the best way to wake up your creativity.
- Pajamas. For overnight flights, I always have a comfy outfit change stowed away that can double as PJs. When you travel often, comfort is key. My leggings from Terez and our Stella & Dot double side zip sweatshirt do the trick and still look chic.
- Clutch. I always use a pouch to organize my travel documents, pens and chargers that can also double as a clutch when I get to my destination. Picking items that do double duty is key! This season, it’s our Amour pouch–I can’t resist a pop of color.